Non-partisan education on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict
Solutions Not Sides seeks to tackle Antisemitism, Anti-Muslim Hate and polarisation around the issue of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in the UK. The programme provides humanising encounters and focuses on possible solutions based on understanding both sides’ narratives. The aim is to shift attitudes away from supporting one side against the other, and towards seeking a solution for the human beings involved.
We do this through an innovative programme of training and workshops with young people that includes:
- Educational sessions for 15-18 year olds and 18-25 year-olds
- The chance to hear first-hand perspectives from young Israeli and Palestinian peace activists
- Training sessions for teachers and community leaders
The programme has been formulated with the input of both Israelis and Palestinians, as well as senior members of Jewish and Muslim communities, is designed to prepare students to make a positive, solutions-focused contribution to debates on Israel-Palestine.
Solutions Not Sides has delivered conflict resolution training, provided education, and facilitated discussion on the conflict in the UK since 2010, engaging thousands of students in the process.
What happens in our sessions and what are we trying to achieve?
For more details on our sessions, please see below:
Solutions Not Sides Programme Principles
The subject of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict will be approached according to the following principles by speakers and staff of Solutions Not Sides:
1. Acknowledgment that the remit of Solutions Not Sides is not advocacy, partisan solidarity or normalisation
2. Concern for the human rights and national interests of both sides, having regard for freedom, equality, security and peace for all Israelis and Palestinians
3. Understanding that the status quo does not currently achieve this
4. Commitment to pursue a win-win outcome
5. Acceptance that both sides bear responsibility for bringing about a resolution to the conflict
6. Open-mindedness to embrace continuous learning about the complexity of the various narratives
7. Willingness to accept the legitimacy of others’ personal stories and experiences and to model respectful disagreement
8. Rejection of conspiracy theories and a blame culture
9. Intolerance of Antisemitism and Anti-Muslim racism
10. Declaration that violence on either side of the conflict will not be promoted or endorsed in any way